There has been a long gap since I made some chamchameet starter. Mainly because I have (or had??) become calorie conscious these days. But today, the foodie in me tempted me to make these crispy and yummy lollipops.
1 cup - finely grated carrot, cabbage and finely chopped green bell peppers
1 tsp ginger-garlic paste
Handful coriander leaves chopped
1 tsp rice flour
1 tsp corn flour
1 tsp roasted maida (or more)
Red chilli powder (to taste)
Garam masala (to taste)
Salt (to taste)
Oil for frying
Toothpicks for garnishing (optional)
- Apply salt on to the grated-chopped vegetables and set aside for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, drain off water emitted by vegetables using a muslin cloth. (Do not throw this water, it can be used as a vegetable stock in soups, curries)
- Transfer the water-drained vegetables into mixing bowl. Add remaining ingredients except oil. Mix well.
- Since the vegetables are already moist, there is not need to add excess water. Divide the mixture into 6-7 equal parts.
- The mixture consistency should be such that when you try forming a lollipop, it should bind together and should not be sticky.
- Make oval shaped balls and deep fry in oil till colour changes to dark brown and crust becomes crispy.
- Insert toothpick into each fried lollipop and serve hot with ketchup.